Thursday, December 19, 2013

Becher Grid Project

Final Grid2
This week's assignment is based on typologies, or the study of types. I had to create a Becher Grid, with similar looking items. I had several choices when it came down to making my Becher Grid, but I drew inspiration (once again!) from my blog, and chose beer bottle caps. Also, for the fact that my son had a collection of bottle caps from when he was in his bottle-cap-collecting-days back some time ago. I swear, I only bought a couple of beers to help complete this assignment!

This time around I used my digital camera. It's not as megapixel friendly as my iPhone, but it fits really nice with a tripod. Lighting was my biggest issue. I was fighting between getting too much shadow, and having too many highlights from the light source. I used marker paper to diffuse the light, but in some images the spotting may still be too much. I built the grid with photographs of 16 bottle caps, cropped and arranged in formation utilizing Adobe Photoshop. I used the image's histogram, and the levels function to help improve the color and tone of each image.

I've got mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, the material is easy to understand. On the other, it was difficult for me to execute. As far as a finished piece, it does look like a grid with similar but different looking bottle caps. Although, I was hoping that the bent bottle caps would be enough to distinguish them from the straight bottle caps and make the grid visually pop. Not sure if I accomplished that…

No comments:

Post a Comment