Thursday, December 19, 2013

Class Reflection - Last Call!

     So, seventeen weeks are coming to a close. This will be my last "official" blog entry required for my Fundamentals of Digital Media class. Who knows, the blog could still live on in one form or another. Eighteen weeks ago I didn't even know how to create a blog. This class has taught an old dog (me!) a few new tricks since that time. Building a blog, creating a music clip, mashing a video, building a grid, painting with pixels; I have learned a lot in these seventeen weeks. One of the biggest eye-openers for me was learning about all of the different websites and online applications available for creating digital media and art. From Animoto, Soundation, Pixlr Express, Google Drive, Tagxedo, 123D Catch, to Wix; I did not know these websites even existed before this class. Knowing about these websites and other similar ones will help me as I complete my courses at UT. My major will be a mix of art, marketing, and web based media, so everything that I have learned in the Digital Media class has definitely set a solid foundation for me. Some new concepts that I have learned about are megapixel, resolution, MP3's, generative art, and cloud computing. This knowledge has helped me understand the mechanics and building blocks of the digital realm.

     I firmly believe that the web and mobile technology are the future. Smart phones are not going away. They will just change shape (wristwatches and glasses) or get smaller. Have you seen the "eyePhone" from Futurama? What will drive the visual communication, advertising, and backyard wrestling videos for these devices? Digital art and media! What I have started with this class will carry me on to my next set of classes. Building art (JPG and PNG) files and sound (MP3) files, video mashups, building a website; I will use these skills as I take on Flash Web Animation, and Internet Design and Publishing next semester. Eventually these skills will add to my marketing and communication classes in the future. What my humble beer blog is today, may become a network of blogs down the road. With the finish of this class, other possibilities will begin. It will be interesting to see what the future has in store for the digital world and me. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment